Auto Immune Paleo Protocol follows a nutrient dense, high protein and high fiber plan. It is a Grain-Free, Gluten Free, Egg & Dairy Free, Nightshade Free, Nut Free, Beans/Legumes Free, Seed Free and Processed Foods Free Protocol. With that said and following the steps of the brave people who forged the AIP Protocol–it can be done and there is a system to ease in to it with Elimination Plan and Reintroduction Plan.
For a less overwhelming and simplified way to start I followed the Elimination Plan from this trusted link-
On top of this guide and due to the fact that I’m status post Radioactive Iodine Treatment taking on Thyroid medication to minimize Hypothyroid issues, I had to be mindful of the Goitrogenic Food that are broadly and normally included in Auto Immune Paleo Protocol. These are the following;
Cassava, Strawberries, Pears, Peaches, Spinach, Sweet Potato, Brassica Vegetables (Cabbage, Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Kohlrabi, Komatsuna and Rapini/Broccoli Rabe) and Cruciferous Vegetables ( Collard Greens, Wild Broccoli, Bok Choy, Turnip Root/Greens, Wild Arugula, Maca, Watercress, Garden Cress, Radish and Daikon)
Depending on my lab result and whether my symptoms are hypothyroid or hyperthyroid I adjust my consumption of the above food necessarily. There is also issues about Iodine, Seaweeds, Seafood and Iodine by-products. Upon following AIP Protocol I switched to using Sea salt which is also advocated here
Since the onset of Graves Disease triggered my allergic reaction to seafood, seaweeds and iodine byproducts (agar, alginates and carageenan) I also had to minimize my consumption of these products. I just learned that red dye #3 is also an iodine byproduct, upon elimination of all processed food in AIP Protocol this has become the least of my worry.
The Elimination Plan
I started on a weekend and since I was on a timeline ( I had to take prednisone if the swelling in my eyes and face do not abate in two weeks) I had to drop all processed foods, dairy, egg, legumes, nightshades and seeds including seed based spices. You can tailor fit your elimination plan and duration of the elimination plan, which can vary from 1 month to 4 month to a year or more based on your health issues, preference and convenience.
A word of caution though, be kind to yourself. The Elimination Plan is an inventory of foods that are triggering your immune system to attack your body. It can be emotional to give up cake, pastry and coffee but try to be objective about it. Think of this period as a 100% commitment to a scientific experiment. Take on the scientific approach if its not much trouble to you.
1. Make Observations – Take note of which food and activities triggers your symptoms, how you feel at the end of the day and which food and activities calms and helps your issues
2. Think of an Interesting Question-What can be done about it? How much will it cost me? Where will I get a cost-effective, high quality supply? When and how should I prepare these foods?
3. Formulate Hypothesis-
“Eliminating all processed foods in my life will be good for me in the long run.”
” The cost of seeking high quality, organic yet cost effective produce and foods will be a worthy investment for my health.”
“Cooking simple, nutritious food in my own kitchen might reawaken the joy of cooking in me.”
4. Develop Testable Predictions- Go to the organic market or farmers market, buy what you need and cook it.
5. Gather Data To Test Predictions – Eat and Enjoy your cooking. Share with family and friends. Modify your cooking according to your personal preference and seasonality of produce.
6. Refine, Alter, Expand or Reject Hypothesis- Pretty much self explanatory.
Repeat step 4,5 &6 as needed
7. Develop General Theories- Ultimately you are your own advocate, integrate the development you had gather with your inner intuition. Continuously apply these developments, changes and plan until you are physically and emotionally ready to reintroduce foods.
The Reintroduction Plan
Go slow and reintroduce one food at a time. Take note of your body reaction. Wait up to a week to reintroduce another food. This process can be initiated with the food you miss the most.
For a more systematic reintroduction plan, check Paleo Mom’s free
I am still in my Elimination plan for four months now. I will learn and add more information here once I start my Reintroduction plan.
Primal Meet Tropical is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Earnings from this affiliate will be used for maintenance of this site, innovating AIP/Paleo recipes and content enrichment.